Sunday 24 June 2012

One week till race day....

One week till I will take part in the Half Ironman 'Great White North (GWN)".....now this is not my goal race obviously...but a pretty big one in the lead up..
This race will give me a good idea of where I am at and also I should be able to predict an approximate finish time for Ironman...."should"...

Now I do have 2 half's under my belt leading into this race. The first was GWN back in 2004 so 7 years ago!! The second I did the Calgary 70.3 last summer...

My memory from the last time I did GWN is a bit foggy...all I remember is how I felt when it was over and that was HORRIBLE!! I was sick for a good 24 hours post race....I know now that was mainly due to bad nutrition choices during the race. After that race I actually took a hiatus from triathlon until 2010 when I did a few sprints and 1 olympic then 2011 when I did 70.3.....where I felt 100% better...so good that gave me the momentum to sign up for Ironman...

Now with that said I decided to look up my times from both races to see how they compared and what I had to aim for for this race coming up..

So here they are:

GWN 2004:
2 km swim- 42.22
90 km cycle- 3 hours 51 mins
21 km run- 2 hours 14 min
total time- 6 hours 48 mins

Calgary 70.3 2011:
1.9 km swim- 1:07
94 km bike- 3 hours 45 mins
21 km run- 2 hours 26 mins
total time- 7 hours 27 mins

Now looking back I would have never guessed I did the one in 2004 that much faster then last year...but I must remember I was 7 years younger and this was pre kids!! I had more time to train back then.....also the courses were quite different..70.3 was a more challenging course and the weather last year was also a factor where it was 34 degrees by the time I hit the run..

So looking ahead to next weekend...I have a few predictions....not that I like to make predictions since ANYTHING can happen in a race..
But here they are anyway..

The swim.....Not sure if I can do what I did in 2004...man that was fast (not sure how I did that) so I predict about 50-55 mins this time...my swim has not improved much...it has remained kinda the same since last year...so I could push 1 hour again not sure...

The Bike...now this is the area I have really focused on this year...so I hope this is where I will make the improvements....if I can do it in around 3:40 that would be great.

Now the run......I am still suffering with knee pain once I hit past 12 km...so I not expecting big things in the run...I hope to run as far as I can get...then if I feel alot of pain I may have to walk...I don't want to mess things up for the next 2 months.....so I cant even predict the outcome of the run..
The other factor is my pace I train at right now is slower since my distance will be double this...so I think this will also have a factor in how I do this race...

Overall....if my run goes well I hope to do the race in about 7 hours...but the run may be a major deterrent in that...
What I really want to get out of the day is I get my transitions smooth...my nutrition right and I have the feeling that I can do more once I am done..then I know I am on the right track for my next 6 weeks...also lets hope for some SUN!!!!

here is a pic from 70.3 last year..


So leading up to the race this weekend here is my plan for the week:

Monday- TRX/open water swim
Tuesday- 90 min run
Wednesday- 2000m swim
Thursday- easy 30 min run/ride 30 km
Fri/Sat- rest
Sunday- RACE!!

3 comments:

  1. You'll do awesome.

    Though, I have to say, the math doesn't add up for your 70.3 results? The splits added together is 7:18, so you either have your total time off or one of your split times off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to check that when I get home..,,,I thought after I looked up the results.,,,"I don't remember doing this under 7 hours"!! I also dont remember sucking that bad on the swim....now I have to check again...thanks for the heads up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...so my times were all right except the total for 70.3....not sure where I got the 6:57 from...it is suppose to be 7:27....now that is a HUGE difference from the 2004 GWN......so who knows what this weekend will bring we shall see.....
    Thanks for picking up on that :-)

    ReplyDelete