Saturday 1 October 2011

The need to add some Zen!!

Okay so those who know me or have come to my classes know I am a bit of an "Adrenaline Junkie" I love the feel of an intense workout and pushing myself to my limits...
BUT...with this comes the consequence my lack of stretching and relaxation!

A good example that all my clients can contest to is when there is 10 mins left in class...and where I should be wrapping things up and getting us ready for stretch instead I look at the clock and think "Sweet we can do one more set"......
yes I believe we need to sweat until the bitter end! Of course I do not leave my class without having everyone stretch....is it a nice long relaxing stretch?....no.....but it is a stretch!

With stretching comes the importance of yoga....another thing I know is so important but cant seem to fit into my life.
So for this first quarter of my training schedule I am doing just that..I am going to yoga!
Today was the first day....and well it did not look pretty..it felt good!

Yoga and stretching are Soooooo important for everyone but even more so for the runner/triathlete. This sport is so linear our body gets so stuck in the same range of motion which in turns dramatically tightens our hip flexors, quads, glutes and also our transverse abs...
Without taking the time to stretch and take care of these muscles and continuing to add strain we are risking injury.

So I know the importance of it....and I also train other instructors and trainers on the importance of it...now to just make a more active choice to do it!

Here is to adding more Zen in my life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment