Tuesday 10 January 2012

Hard Lessons...

Okay well here I sit with some of the most intense pain I have felt in a while.....
Let me back track......last Thursday I taught a class Body Sculpt. Nothing out of the ordinary but I did go a bit heavier with the weights and we are coming off a 2 week break of classes.....so with that I felt pretty sore the next few days especially in my back.
As I said in my last post last week I know I did too much...on top of 6 classes I also did 6 hours of training....so for week one of this year I knew this was too much.
So after my rest day Sunday I felt okay...still feeling it a bit in my back.....which really should have told me to take it easy...
But no I went into my 6 am TRX class and did the class (yup I did not listen)....left that class and my back was a mess again.....it started to feel better later in the day....now instead of resting last night...I jumped on my bike....for about 40 mins....again felt okay but my back was pretty tight...

So woke up today (Tuesday) it is snowing....today I teach TRX then I run. So I knew my back was tight but I thought it will be okay....and the snow.....ahhhh we can handle that...it is ALBERTA!
So I got to class...started the warm up...and BAM out of no where felt like I got stabbed in the back with a knife!! The pain was intense! I tried to do some of the moves in class but by now even standing there was killing me. Now I knew I had a problem. Then a little voice in my head said.....okay maybe if I run after it will work this out?? I know what you are all thinking....yup I was thinking that.
By the end of the class well I could barley walk...so I knew the run was out of the picture...which upset me.
I got into the chiropractor and well it was a rib and my hip out of place...so she got it back....but the pain is still there....because I am so damn tight! So I took some pain killers and that has helped a bit...
I am hoping the massage tonight will also help.

So here it is.....I know you are reading this and what you are thinking...Candice you need to take a break. I know that. So I am a personal trainer and I am very good at telling my clients to watch their limits and how rest and stretching is important. I will be the first to admit I don't follow my own advice. I have a very competitive personally and obsessive about training and I know that. If I don't get a certain workout in I loose my mind. I have been lucky in the past 15 years of training in running and triathlon I have not dealt with any major injuries...until now.
This is a wake up call for me.
I am NOT in my 20's anymore...lets be honest I am pushing 40...so I need to act like it...
I am hoping I have not done crazy damage and this can be fixed but I am going to listen and take it down a bit for the next bit. I want to do this race and I want to do it well so it is time for me to practice what I preach!

So that is it a bit of a confession and to all my client's.....you have the right to yell at me I deserve it :-)

Candice

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. Sorry to hear you're dealing with so much pain Candice. The upside is that it's early in your training plan, so you have time to adjust and still meet your goals.

    Now, think about the advice you would give someone else in your situation, and then actually take it. ;)

    ReplyDelete