Sunday 8 April 2012

On the road again.....

First off I want to wish everyone a very happy Easter...I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend and was able to spend time with family and friends!

We are lucky to once again be on Vancouver Island. All of my family live out here so it is a frequent vacation spot for us!

Other then being happy to be able to spend time with family this week I was really excited to get my bike out on the road!
Yesterday I took my bike out for the first time and I rode down the Island highway from Parksville down the island and ended up doing a 50 km ride.
For my first ride out I was very happy how great it felt...I did it just under 2 hours.

Today I went out again and today I rode the same route but went further and ended up doing 60 km and did that in 2.5 hours..

Here is some pics from my ride:




I remember last year at the beginning of the season 40-60 km was a struggle.....this year I know the amount of indoor cycling I have done including the computrain program has made a world of difference..

I know for me I am build for endurance not speed....now you are probably thinking that is a good thing for Ironman....it some ways yes this is good....BUT...for Ironman there are cut off times for all the parts of the race..
I am not worried about the swim...but the bike I have 8 hours to do the 180km....my goal is to do this in 7 hours...this way I have extra time on the run if I need to walk (which I am sure I will ;-))

With my pace today I am not far off this 7 hour goal...but my route today was relatively flat...and the Ironman course is everything BUT FLAT!!

With just over 4 months until Ironman I know I still have lots of time to work on my bike time...

We have 4 more days on holidays and I hope to get a bit more training in...

Here is my plan for the week:

Monday: Heading to the gym with my dad for weights
Tuesday- 2 hour run!
Wednesday/Thursday- Travel days...hope to get a short run in
Friday- Back home....2.5 hour compuride
Saturday- swim 2km
Sunday- possible run or rest......

1 comment:

  1. When I first saw you were riding outside, I thought you were being really hardcore, since it's not that warm here...

    Looks like a great place to ride!

    ReplyDelete