Sunday 1 April 2012

The Bricks begin...

Well I have been enjoying my training up to this point...I have not found it too intense and I have found I have balanced the workouts well...
Now I am starting the do "Brick Workouts" What are Brick workouts??...."Brick workouts, are one of the most valuable workouts in your Ironman training program. Brick sessions have numerous physical and psychological benefits, such as muscle memory, endurance, and mental fortitude"- Trifuel

The most important Brick workout for a triathlete to train is the Bike to run transition...Ideally you start with a longer ride then add a short run after then continue to build your run on after the ride.

My brick on the weekend was a kind of last minute decision. I had a 2 hour run planned for Saturday...and I just decided to go ride with the Tri group (indoor compuride for 1.5 hours) before...
It was not a true brick in the case that I did have to drive  my bike home then I changed my shoes..so it was about a 15-20 minutes transition..
Also Ideally I should have done a much shorter run in my first brick......with all that said my run felt GREAT!! Not sore after so I am pretty happy with the result!

We leave for holidays this week (Thursday) heading to Vancouver Island for a week. Usually my rule on any vacation is "I don't workout".....well I am bending that rule this time :-( This time I am bringing my bike and I hope to get out and ride once or hopefully twice...I also hope to get in a few runs...
We are only gone a week and we are visiting a lot of family...so I know my training will come down for the week....so because of that the next 3 days I am going hard!!

Monday- 3  hour indoor spin...followed by 20 min run on treadmill..
Tuesday- TRX/ 50 min MAP run
Wednesday- Intervals/Spin 1 hour/Swim 2km
Thursday and Friday- Travel days...rest
Saturday and Sunday- on Island...plan to ride and run outside...distances TBA...

No comments:

Post a Comment